Family Domestic Violence Shelter
The Family Violence Center provides immediate shelter to individuals and their children who are victims of domestic violence. The location of the shelter is confidential. The shelter’s living quarters consist of dormitory style rooms with a communal kitchen, bathroom and living room.
We understand that the victim cannot bring all personal items with them so food, personal items, and linens are provided. Every service we provide is free and confidential for any survivor. Each person is treated with dignity and respect in a safe environment.
The staff also recognizes and attends to the physical, emotional and educational needs of the children involved. Family Violence Center staff work diligently to educate the general public, law enforcement, and all organizations about domestic violence issues and encourages their support.
The individual can stay in the shelter for 30 days with the option to apply for additional time up to 90 days. The case manager and the individual work together in assessing the individual’s current needs and create goals that may include counseling, legal advocacy, housing and employment in order to work towards recovery while they reside in the shelter. Case managers work with the clients and make referrals to community resources including transportation assistance. Counseling referrals are available to anyone who has experienced domestic violence and does not require the individual to be a resident of the shelter.
- Domestic Violence Support Group (non-residents) on Thursdays from 6:30-7:30 p.m. for more information call (423) 755-2822.
Top 10 Signs of Domestic Violence
Does your partner:
- Make you feel worthless?
- Hurt you physically?
- Isolate you from loved ones?
- Control your access to money?
- Accuse you of cheating?
- Intimidate/threaten you or your loved ones?
- Pressure you into unwanted sex?
- Threaten to hurt themselves if they don't get what they want?
- Control what you do and who you see?
- Stalk you, including calling/texting constantly or following you?